Breaking
World leaders gather for emergency summit on climate crisis • Tech giants announce major breakthrough in fusion energy • Stocks reach all-time high as global trade recovers • Global News 24 launches premium news experience • Stay updated with real-time headlines •
BACK TO NEWS
Health14 days ago

Three evacuated from hantavirus-hit ship as Spain says vessel can dock

The Guardian
The Guardian

Verified Publisher

Three evacuated from hantavirus-hit ship as Spain says vessel can dock

British guide Martin Anstee among those evacuated from MV Hondius, which is now heading for Canary IslandsExplainer: What is hantavirus?Three people with suspected hantavirus have been medically evacuated from a cruise ship.They include a British man who was an expedition guide onboard the ship, the MV Hondius. He w

Health workers in protective clothing help patients on to a boat from the cruise ship MV Hondius off Cape Verde on Wednesday.

Photograph: AFP/Getty Images View image in fullscreen Health workers in protective clothing help patients on to a boat from the cruise ship MV Hondius off Cape Verde on Wednesday.

Photograph: AFP/Getty Images Three evacuated from hantavirus-hit ship as Spain says vessel can dock British guide Martin Anstee among those evacuated from MV Hondius, which is now heading for Canary Islands Explainer: What is hantavirus?

Three people with suspected hantavirus have been medically evacuated from a cruise ship.

They include a British man who was an expedition guide onboard the ship, the MV Hondius. He was named on Wednesday evening as Martin Anstee, 56.

He told Sky News: “I’m doing OK. I’m not feeling too bad. There are still lots of tests to be done. I have no idea how long I’ll be in the hospital for. I’m in isolation at the moment.” View image in fullscreen Martin Anstee was taken ill onboard the MV Hondius.

Photograph: Facebook Anstee was removed from the vessel along with a Dutch colleague, 41, who was the ship’s doctor, and a 65-year-old German passenger, the Telegraph reported.

The three were taken from the Dutch-flagged cruise ship for onward travel to the Netherlands, the World Health Organization (WHO) said.

Spanish health officials said the Briton was in a more stable condition, having previously been in a critical condition.

The WHO said there were eight cases, five of them confirmed.

The evacuation means the ship, with close to 150 people onboard, can continue on its three-day journey to the Canary Islands after Spanish authorities gave permission for the vessel to dock. But a row has erupted, with the regional president expressing concern over the ship docking in Tenerife.

The ship was anchored off Cape Verde while arrangements were put in place to evacuate the crew members but on Wednesday evening the ship was on its way to the Canaries.

An aircraft carrying two of the three individuals taken from the ship landed in the Netherlands late on Wednesday, the tour operator Oceanwide Expeditions said. However, the operator said another aircraft “is currently experiencing a delay” and the person onboard “remains in a stable condition”.

View image in fullscreen A person in a hazmat suit is escorted to an ambulance from a medical aircraft carrying evacuees from the MV Hondius at Schiphol airport, Amsterdam.

Photograph: Lina Selg/AFP/Getty Images Tedros Adhanom Ghebreyesus, the director general of the WHO, posted on X: “Three suspected hantavirus case patients have just been evacuated from the ship and are on their way to receive medical care in the Netherlands in coordination with WHO, the ship’s operator and national authorities from Cabo Verde [Cape Verde], the United Kingdom, Spain and the Netherlands.

“WHO continues to work with the ship’s operators to closely monitor the health of passengers and crew, working with countries to support appropriate medical follow-up and evacuation where needed.

“Monitoring and follow-up for passengers onboard and for those who have already disembarked has been initiated in collaboration with the ship’s operators and national health authorities. At this stage, the overall public health risk remains low.” 10:31 Hantavirus hell: passengers stuck on cruise ship with deadly virus – The Latest A Dutch couple and a German national who were on the ship have died.

The foreign secretary, Yvette Cooper, said the UK had been working with other countries to facilitate evacuations and Foreign Office staff were in direct contact with British nationals onboard.

“The Foreign Office is working urgently to support the UKHSA’s [UK Health Security Agency’s] work overseas and to make sure British nationals on the MV Hondius can all get safely home with proper protection for public health,” she said.

Two people who returned to the UK independently having been onboard the ship had been advised to isolate, the UKHSA said. “Neither of these individuals is currently reporting symptoms. They are receiving advice and support from UKHSA and have been advised to self-isolate,” it added.

The health authority said that it was helping to trace people who may have been on the same flight as a confirmed case and that once the ship docked in Tenerife, the remaining British nationals onboard could be sent home if they had no symptoms.

“None of the British citizens on board are currently reporting symptoms but they are being closely monitored,” the UKHSA said in a statement. It stressed that the risk to the general public “remains very low”.

Authorities in Switzerland said a former passenger who tested positive was being treated at a Zurich hospital. The passenger had left the ship at St Helena and it was unclear how he had travelled to Switzerland or which countries he might have passed through. Swiss authorities said there was “no risk” to the public.

Map showing ship’s route Since the start of the outbreak, the WHO has emphasised that the risk to the public is low. People usually become infected with hantavirus through contact with infected rodents or their urine, their droppings or their saliva, and human-to-human transmission is rare. But a limited spread among close contacts has been observed in some previous outbreaks with the Andes strain, which has spread in South America, including Argentina, where the cruise trip started in March.

Health officials in Europe and Africa are trying to identify people who may have had contact with people who earlier left the ship, which departed on 1 April from South America for stops in Antarctica and several remote Atlantic islands.

South Africa’s health ministry said 62 contacts had been identified, including flight crew and healthcare workers. The contacts will be monitored until an incubation period has passed. None have been diagnosed with the hantavirus so far.

Two Argentinian officials investigating the origins of the outbreak said the government’s leading hypothesis is that a Dutch couple contracted the virus while birdwatching in the city of Ushuaia before boarding. They said the couple visited a landfill during the tour and may have been exposed to rodents, according to a report by the Associated Press.

Cape Verde was meant to be the ship’s final destination but the country off west Africa has not allowed the vessel to put passengers ashore because of the outbreak.

Late on Tuesday, the Spanish health ministry said it had been asked by the WHO and the EU to accept the MV Hondius and had agreed “in accordance with international law and humanitarian principles”.

Oceanwide Expeditions said the ship was expected to arrive in the Canary Islands in three days.

“Oceanwide Expeditions remains in close and continual discussion with relevant authorities regarding our exact point of arrival, quarantine and screening procedures for all guests, and a precise timeline,” a spokesperson said. “We are unable to confirm the details of onward travel for guests at this stage. This is dependent on medical advice and the outcome of stringent screening procedures.” The UK Foreign Office said it had been in touch directly with all British passengers onboard the ship.

Explore more on these topics Hantavirus Cape Verde Spain Water transport Africa Europe news Share Reuse this content

Read original story at The Guardian

Continue reading this article on the publisher's website.

Visit Website

More from The Guardian

Australia news live: Penny Wong rebukes Israel over “shocking and unacceptable” treatment of flotilla activists
Technology
The Guardian
The Guardian38 minutes ago1 min read

Australia news live: Penny Wong rebukes Israel over “shocking and unacceptable” treatment of flotilla activists

Australia’s foreign minister condemns video posted by Israel’s national security minister taunting detained activists. Follow today’s news liveGet our breaking news email, free app or daily news podcastAustralian Foreign Minister Penny Wong c

Man charged with stealing camera equipment from Bondi shooting victim in aftermath of terror attack
Technology
The Guardian
The Guardianabout 2 hours ago1 min read

Man charged with stealing camera equipment from Bondi shooting victim in aftermath of terror attack

Police allege an attender at the Hanukah event before the shooting stole a deceased 61-year-old’s camera equipment then pawned itGet our breaking news email, free app or daily news podcastNSW police have charged a man for allegedly stealing camera equi

Murder inquiry launched after fatal assault on London bus driver
Health
The Guardian
The Guardianabout 2 hours ago1 min read

Murder inquiry launched after fatal assault on London bus driver

Police say 64-year-old was attacked after confrontation near Battersea BridgeA murder investigation has been launched after a bus driver died after an assault on Battersea Bridge in London, police said. Sergei Krajev, 64, died in hospital on Tuesday after the incident in the early hours of Monday morning. Police believe he was attacked following a confrontation on the pavement near the bus, which was stationary at the time. Gary Jones, 32, was arr