Breaking
World leaders gather for emergency summit on climate crisis • Tech giants announce major breakthrough in fusion energy • Stocks reach all-time high as global trade recovers • Global News 24 launches premium news experience • Stay updated with real-time headlines •
BACK TO NEWS
Technology1 day ago

Three Toronto police officers charged with sexual assault in Barcelona

The Guardian
The Guardian

Verified Publisher

Three Toronto police officers charged with sexual assault in Barcelona

Off-duty officers allegedly assaulted a sex worker in a taxi in Ciutat Vella, according to police in CataloniaSign up for the Breaking News US newsletter email Three off-duty <a

Plainclothes officers from Barcelona’s municipal police force apprehended the Canadian policemen after a woman called for help.

Photograph: David Zorrakino/Europa Press/Getty Images Plainclothes officers from Barcelona’s municipal police force apprehended the Canadian policemen after a woman called for help.

Photograph: David Zorrakino/Europa Press/Getty Images Three Toronto police officers charged with sexual assault in Barcelona Off-duty officers allegedly assaulted a sex worker in a taxi in Ciutat Vella, according to police in Catalonia Sign up for the Breaking News US newsletter email Three off-duty Toronto police officers have been charged with sexual assault while vacationing in Barcelona , in an incident likely to pile pressure on a force already under intense public scrutiny.

According to police in Barcelona , the alleged assault occurred on the evening of 13 May, when the trio of police officers were travelling in a taxi with a sex worker in the Ciutat Vella neighbourhood of Barcelona.

The off-duty officers allegedly tried to force the woman to have sex with them all simultaneously, according to the regional paper El Periódico de Catalunya. When she refused, the three suspects are alleged to have become violent and to have started insulting, threatening and beating the woman.

‘The end of the road’: the man on a mission to take Barcelona back from overtourism Read more “One of the officers in the back allegedly sexually assaulted the victim, while the other allegedly punched her in the face, causing a cut above her eyebrow that required stitches due to profuse bleeding,” the newspaper wrote. “Faced with this situation, the woman called for help from the taxi window.” When plainclothes officers from Barcelona’s municipal police force stopped the taxi and ordered its occupants out, one of the Canadian policemen allegedly reacted violently, while another, who had allegedly hit the woman, ran away.

“Two of them were arrested at the time, while a third fled. One of the two men arrested in Barcelona has been charged with sexual assault and assault, while another has been released on bail,” said a spokesperson for the Catalan police, the Mossos d’Esquadra. “The third man was arrested on the morning of Friday 15 May in Palma de Mallorca in cooperation with the Guardia Civil.” It was the local media reports in Barcelona that first tipped off Canadian media that the officers had been arrested and faced criminal charges. The Toronto police service confirmed the arrests on 18 May, but it did not respond to questions over why it failed to proactively disclose the arrests by Spanish police.

A Toronto police spokesperson called the allegations “serious” but said the force was not identifying the officers. The police service said it was unable to comment further on the charges, as the matters are now before the court.

The allegations come as the police force, the largest in Canada , grapples with immense reputational damage over recent allegations of corruption.

In recent months, at least eight officers have been charged in a sprawling investigation for accepting for bribes, aiding drug traffickers, leaking personal information to criminals who then carried out shootings, and helped members of organised crime in a plot to murder a corrections officer. The investigation, Project South, has exposed the “corrosive” reach of organised crime into Canada’s largest municipal police service, said the city’s police chief.

None of the officers arrested in Spain has been linked publicly to Project South.

The Toronto police association, which represents police officers, said it was aware of the incident involving three of its members but provided no further details.

“Given these charges relate to an off-duty incident, the Toronto police association has no further comment,” the group said.

Explore more on these topics Barcelona Toronto Spain Europe Canada Americas news Share Reuse this content

Read original story at The Guardian

Continue reading this article on the publisher's website.

Visit Website

More from The Guardian

Australia news live: Penny Wong rebukes Israel over “shocking and unacceptable” treatment of flotilla activists
Technology
The Guardian
The Guardian41 minutes ago1 min read

Australia news live: Penny Wong rebukes Israel over “shocking and unacceptable” treatment of flotilla activists

Australia’s foreign minister condemns video posted by Israel’s national security minister taunting detained activists. Follow today’s news liveGet our breaking news email, free app or daily news podcastAustralian Foreign Minister Penny Wong c

Man charged with stealing camera equipment from Bondi shooting victim in aftermath of terror attack
Technology
The Guardian
The Guardianabout 2 hours ago1 min read

Man charged with stealing camera equipment from Bondi shooting victim in aftermath of terror attack

Police allege an attender at the Hanukah event before the shooting stole a deceased 61-year-old’s camera equipment then pawned itGet our breaking news email, free app or daily news podcastNSW police have charged a man for allegedly stealing camera equi

Murder inquiry launched after fatal assault on London bus driver
Health
The Guardian
The Guardianabout 2 hours ago1 min read

Murder inquiry launched after fatal assault on London bus driver

Police say 64-year-old was attacked after confrontation near Battersea BridgeA murder investigation has been launched after a bus driver died after an assault on Battersea Bridge in London, police said. Sergei Krajev, 64, died in hospital on Tuesday after the incident in the early hours of Monday morning. Police believe he was attacked following a confrontation on the pavement near the bus, which was stationary at the time. Gary Jones, 32, was arr