Breaking
World leaders gather for emergency summit on climate crisis • Tech giants announce major breakthrough in fusion energy • Stocks reach all-time high as global trade recovers • Global News 24 launches premium news experience • Stay updated with real-time headlines •
BACK TO NEWS
Technology6 days ago

Top California Democratic strategist pleads guilty to $225,000 fraud charges

The Guardian
The Guardian

Verified Publisher

Top California Democratic strategist pleads guilty to $225,000 fraud charges

Dana Williamson, who has ties to Gavin Newsom, conspired to steal gubernatorial hopeful Xavier Becerra’s campaign fundsSign up for the Breaking News US newsletter email Dana Wil

Dana Williamson leaves the US courthouse after pleading guilty to federal corruption and tax charges in Sacramento, California, on 14 May 2026.

Photograph: Carlos Barría/Reuters View image in fullscreen Dana Williamson leaves the US courthouse after pleading guilty to federal corruption and tax charges in Sacramento, California, on 14 May 2026.

Photograph: Carlos Barría/Reuters Top California Democratic strategist pleads guilty to $225,000 fraud charges Dana Williamson, who has ties to Gavin Newsom, conspired to steal gubernatorial hopeful Xavier Becerra’s campaign funds Sign up for the Breaking News US newsletter email Dana Williamson, a top California political strategist with ties to the state’s governor, Gavin Newsom , and gubernatorial hopeful Xavier Becerra , pleaded guilty on Thursday to fraud charges, an admission that is poised to fuel other candidates’ attacks in the race.

Federal authorities say Williamson conspired to steal $225,000 from a dormant campaign account belonging to Becerra, who was not named in the plea deal, and divert the money to his chief of staff, Sean McCluskie.

The funds were disguised as pay to McCluskie’s spouse for nonexistent work. McCluskie reportedly took a pay cut to join Becerra when he became the US secretary of health and human services in 2021.

Mayor of California city resigns over charges of being a foreign agent of China Read more McCluskie took a plea deal last December.

Becerra has maintained he did not know about the scheme, but his opponents have sought to link him to the corruption investigation.

“We know that Xavier Becerra likely broke state law, and now he’s at the center of an ongoing criminal investigation,” billionaire Tom Steyer, one of Becerra’s top rivals in the governor’s race, said in a statement after Williamson’s guilty plea. “Democrats cannot afford to wake up on June 3 and discover we’ve got a criminal on our hands. Xavier Becerra should not be our governor, and we can’t risk having him as our nominee.” Katie Porter, the former congresswoman also running for governor, said earlier this week that Becerra’s proximity to the scandal made him “too big of a risk” for voters.

“My opponents have spent millions spreading lies to purposefully mislead voters. Today confirms what I have said from day one: I did nothing wrong. Case closed,” Becerra wrote Thursday on X, in reference to court documents indicating that Williamson and McCluskie hid the plan from him.

Williamson wielded considerable influence in Sacramento politics. She served as chief of staff to Newsom and cabinet secretary for Newsom’s predecessor, Jerry Brown.

Williamson also pleaded guilty to making false statements about the campaign fund scheme and filing false tax returns, in which she claimed roughly $1.7m in personal expenses as business deductions, according to law enforcement officials.

A court date regarding her sentencing has been set for July. Williamson is facing up to 38 years in prison.

Explore more on these topics California Democrats US crime Gavin Newsom US politics West Coast news Share Reuse this content

Read original story at The Guardian

Continue reading this article on the publisher's website.

Visit Website

More from The Guardian

Australia news live: Penny Wong rebukes Israel over “shocking and unacceptable” treatment of flotilla activists
Technology
The Guardian
The Guardian42 minutes ago1 min read

Australia news live: Penny Wong rebukes Israel over “shocking and unacceptable” treatment of flotilla activists

Australia’s foreign minister condemns video posted by Israel’s national security minister taunting detained activists. Follow today’s news liveGet our breaking news email, free app or daily news podcastAustralian Foreign Minister Penny Wong c

Man charged with stealing camera equipment from Bondi shooting victim in aftermath of terror attack
Technology
The Guardian
The Guardianabout 2 hours ago1 min read

Man charged with stealing camera equipment from Bondi shooting victim in aftermath of terror attack

Police allege an attender at the Hanukah event before the shooting stole a deceased 61-year-old’s camera equipment then pawned itGet our breaking news email, free app or daily news podcastNSW police have charged a man for allegedly stealing camera equi

Murder inquiry launched after fatal assault on London bus driver
Health
The Guardian
The Guardianabout 2 hours ago1 min read

Murder inquiry launched after fatal assault on London bus driver

Police say 64-year-old was attacked after confrontation near Battersea BridgeA murder investigation has been launched after a bus driver died after an assault on Battersea Bridge in London, police said. Sergei Krajev, 64, died in hospital on Tuesday after the incident in the early hours of Monday morning. Police believe he was attacked following a confrontation on the pavement near the bus, which was stationary at the time. Gary Jones, 32, was arr