Breaking
World leaders gather for emergency summit on climate crisis • Tech giants announce major breakthrough in fusion energy • Stocks reach all-time high as global trade recovers • Global News 24 launches premium news experience • Stay updated with real-time headlines •
BACK TO NEWS
Technology6 days ago

US border patrol chief resigns after claims of sex with prostitutes abroad

The Guardian
The Guardian

Verified Publisher

US border patrol chief resigns after claims of sex with prostitutes abroad

Mike Banks, who led Trump’s border crackdown, resigned weeks after reports of prostitution allegationsSign up for the Breaking News US newsletter emailMike Banks, the border patrol chief

The US border patrol chief, Mike Banks, at a roundtable discussion with local ranchers and other employees on 7 January 2026 in Brownsville, Texas.

Photograph: Michael Gonzalez/Getty Images View image in fullscreen The US border patrol chief, Mike Banks, at a roundtable discussion with local ranchers and other employees on 7 January 2026 in Brownsville, Texas.

Photograph: Michael Gonzalez/Getty Images US border patrol chief resigns after claims of sex with prostitutes abroad Mike Banks, who led Trump’s border crackdown, resigned weeks after reports of prostitution allegations Sign up for the Breaking News US newsletter email Mike Banks, the border patrol chief who oversaw the most aggressive militarization of the US southern border in recent history, has resigned with immediate effect.

“It’s just time,” Banks told Fox News in an interview. “I feel like I got the ship back on course from the least secure, most disastrous, most chaotic border to the most secure border this country has ever seen.” Customs and Border Protection (CBP) did not immediately respond to a request for comment on Banks’ abrupt exit.

The resignation comes weeks after the Washington Examiner reported that six current and former border patrol employees had accused Banks of regularly paying for sex with prostitutes during trips to Colombia and Thailand over more than a decade, and bragging about it to colleagues.

The behavior was said to have been investigated twice by CBP officials, with one inquiry reportedly ending abruptly while former homeland security secretary, Kristi Noem, was in office.

CBP described the matter as “closed” last month, with a spokesperson telling the Examiner the allegations “date back more than a decade and were reviewed years ago”.

The agency did not immediately respond to the Guardian on Thursday when asked for comment on the allegations.

Banks took over as border patrol chief in early 2025 and swiftly became central to the Trump administration’s controversial drive to reshape US immigration enforcement. He oversaw a dramatic expansion of prosecutions for unlawful border crossings, intensified coordination between border patrol and Immigration and Customs Enforcement (ICE) , and the rollout of broader interior enforcement operations across the country.

Among that agenda was Banks’s role in launching so-called national defense areas along the southern border. Last April, under his watch, the administration designated large stretches of federal land as military zones and transferred jurisdiction to the US army. By mid-2025, the zones covered nearly a third of the entire US-Mexico border, and were patrolled by at least 7,600 troops.

In an interview with Newsmax last November, Banks said border patrol agents would “go anywhere in the United States” to apprehend undocumented immigrants, and said that border patrol was helping ICE in 25 cities, while “adding more cities every day”.

Explore more on these topics US news US politics Trump administration US immigration ICE (US Immigration and Customs Enforcement) news Share Reuse this content

Read original story at The Guardian

Continue reading this article on the publisher's website.

Visit Website

More from The Guardian

Australia news live: Penny Wong rebukes Israel over “shocking and unacceptable” treatment of flotilla activists
Technology
The Guardian
The Guardian42 minutes ago1 min read

Australia news live: Penny Wong rebukes Israel over “shocking and unacceptable” treatment of flotilla activists

Australia’s foreign minister condemns video posted by Israel’s national security minister taunting detained activists. Follow today’s news liveGet our breaking news email, free app or daily news podcastAustralian Foreign Minister Penny Wong c

Man charged with stealing camera equipment from Bondi shooting victim in aftermath of terror attack
Technology
The Guardian
The Guardianabout 2 hours ago1 min read

Man charged with stealing camera equipment from Bondi shooting victim in aftermath of terror attack

Police allege an attender at the Hanukah event before the shooting stole a deceased 61-year-old’s camera equipment then pawned itGet our breaking news email, free app or daily news podcastNSW police have charged a man for allegedly stealing camera equi

Murder inquiry launched after fatal assault on London bus driver
Health
The Guardian
The Guardianabout 2 hours ago1 min read

Murder inquiry launched after fatal assault on London bus driver

Police say 64-year-old was attacked after confrontation near Battersea BridgeA murder investigation has been launched after a bus driver died after an assault on Battersea Bridge in London, police said. Sergei Krajev, 64, died in hospital on Tuesday after the incident in the early hours of Monday morning. Police believe he was attacked following a confrontation on the pavement near the bus, which was stationary at the time. Gary Jones, 32, was arr