Breaking
World leaders gather for emergency summit on climate crisis • Tech giants announce major breakthrough in fusion energy • Stocks reach all-time high as global trade recovers • Global News 24 launches premium news experience • Stay updated with real-time headlines •
BACK TO NEWS
Health1 day ago

WHO official warns Ebola outbreak unlikely to be over in two months as cases and deaths rise in DRC

The Guardian
The Guardian

Verified Publisher

WHO official warns Ebola outbreak unlikely to be over in two months as cases and deaths rise in DRC

At least 130 people thought to have been killed, says Tedros Adhanom Ghebreyesus before emergency meeting‘It’s heartbreaking’: panic in eastern DRC over return of EbolaThe director general of the World Health Organization has said he is deeply concerned about the scale and the speed of the Ebola outbreak in the Democratic Republic of the Congo.Dr Tedro

World Health Organization workers mobilising 4.7 tonnes of medical supplies and emergency kits to support the areas affected by the outbreak.

Photograph: World Health Organization/Reuters World Health Organization workers mobilising 4.7 tonnes of medical supplies and emergency kits to support the areas affected by the outbreak.

Photograph: World Health Organization/Reuters WHO official warns Ebola outbreak unlikely to be over in two months as cases and deaths rise in DRC At least 130 people thought to have been killed, says Tedros Adhanom Ghebreyesus before emergency meeting ‘It’s heartbreaking’: panic in eastern DRC over return of Ebola The director general of the World Health Organization has said he is deeply concerned about the scale and the speed of the Ebola outbreak in the Democratic Republic of the Congo .

Dr Tedros Adhanom Ghebreyesus said there had been at least 500 suspected cases of Ebola and 130 suspected deaths in DRC since the new outbreak began. Thirty cases had been confirmed in DRC’s north-eastern province of Ituri, and one death and one case had been confirmed in Kampala, Uganda, he added.

A US citizen has also tested positive and been transferred to Germany.

“These numbers will change as field operations are scaling up, including strengthening surveillance, contact tracing and laboratory testing,” Tedros told members of the World Health assembly, who are meeting this week in Geneva.

Ebola outbreaks – number of cases reported Tedros declared the outbreak a public health emergency of international concern in the early hours of Sunday morning. On Tuesday he said: “This is the first time a director general has declared a PHEIC before convening an emergency committee. I did not do this lightly … I’m deeply concerned about the scale and speed of the epidemic.” A WHO official on the ground in Bunia in Ituri warned that the outbreak could be lengthy. “I don’t think that in two months we will be done with this outbreak,” Anne Ancia, WHO’s DRC representative, told reporters in Geneva, pointing to a recent Ebola outbreak that “took two years”.

The organisation will convene its emergency committee on Tuesday to advise what recommendations it should make on how to control the outbreak. The US officially left the WHO in January in a move Donald Trump said was motivated by the organisation’s poor management of the Covid-19 pandemic.

Ebola outbreak map Tedros said reports of cases in urban areas, where the virus typically finds it easier to spread, were also cause for concern. Cases among health workers indicated potential spread in clinics and hospitals, he said, and there was “significant population movement in the area”, for work and also due to conflict.

‘It’s heartbreaking’: panic in eastern DRC over return of Ebola Read more The province of Ituri, where most cases have been reported, was “highly insecure”, Ghebreyesus said. “Conflict has intensified since late 2025, and the fighting has escalated significantly over the past two months resulting in civilian deaths. Over 100,000 people have been newly displaced. And in Ebola outbreaks, you know what displacement means.” An outbreak of the Zaire strain from 2018-2020 in Ituri and North Kivu provinces was the second deadliest on record, killing nearly 2,300 people. The international response then was complicated by widespread armed violence in eastern DRC that continues today.

Ebola spreads through direct contact with bodily fluids from infected people or animals and causes symptoms that can include high fever, vomiting and internal and external bleeding. According to the WHO, the average fatality rate from Ebola is around 50%, varying from 25% to 90% in past outbreaks.

Bundibugyo virus, the type of Ebola that is causing the current outbreak, has no vaccines or treatments.

Although more than 20 Ebola outbreaks have been recorded in DRC and Uganda , this is only the third time that the Bundibugyo virus has been detected. Cases have now also been confirmed in Bunia and North Kivu’s rebel-held capital of Goma, as well as Mongbwalu, Butembo, and Nyakunde.

Explore more on these topics Ebola Democratic Republic of the Congo World Health Organization Global health Uganda Africa news Share Reuse this content

Read original story at The Guardian

Continue reading this article on the publisher's website.

Visit Website

More from The Guardian

Australia news live: Penny Wong rebukes Israel over “shocking and unacceptable” treatment of flotilla activists
Technology
The Guardian
The Guardian42 minutes ago1 min read

Australia news live: Penny Wong rebukes Israel over “shocking and unacceptable” treatment of flotilla activists

Australia’s foreign minister condemns video posted by Israel’s national security minister taunting detained activists. Follow today’s news liveGet our breaking news email, free app or daily news podcastAustralian Foreign Minister Penny Wong c

Man charged with stealing camera equipment from Bondi shooting victim in aftermath of terror attack
Technology
The Guardian
The Guardianabout 2 hours ago1 min read

Man charged with stealing camera equipment from Bondi shooting victim in aftermath of terror attack

Police allege an attender at the Hanukah event before the shooting stole a deceased 61-year-old’s camera equipment then pawned itGet our breaking news email, free app or daily news podcastNSW police have charged a man for allegedly stealing camera equi

Murder inquiry launched after fatal assault on London bus driver
Health
The Guardian
The Guardianabout 2 hours ago1 min read

Murder inquiry launched after fatal assault on London bus driver

Police say 64-year-old was attacked after confrontation near Battersea BridgeA murder investigation has been launched after a bus driver died after an assault on Battersea Bridge in London, police said. Sergei Krajev, 64, died in hospital on Tuesday after the incident in the early hours of Monday morning. Police believe he was attacked following a confrontation on the pavement near the bus, which was stationary at the time. Gary Jones, 32, was arr