Breaking
World leaders gather for emergency summit on climate crisis • Tech giants announce major breakthrough in fusion energy • Stocks reach all-time high as global trade recovers • Global News 24 launches premium news experience • Stay updated with real-time headlines •
BACK TO NEWS
Technology5 days ago

Woman who drowned in Suffolk ‘might have been saved’ if fire service alerted more quickly

The Guardian
The Guardian

Verified Publisher

Woman who drowned in Suffolk ‘might have been saved’ if fire service alerted more quickly

Saffron Cole-Nottage became stuck headfirst and might have lived had ambulance service alerted fire service immediately, coroner says A woman who drowned after getting stuck headfirst in sea defence rocks might have been saved if the ambulance service had alerted the fire service more quickly, a coroner has said.Saffron Cole-Nottage, 32, was with her daughter, walking their dog at the seafront in Lowestoft, Suffolk, when she fell as the tide was coming in on 2 February 2025.

Saffron Cole-Nottage was with her daughter, walking their dog at the seafront in Lowestoft, when she fell as the tide was coming in on 2 February 2025.

Photograph: Family Handout/PA View image in fullscreen Saffron Cole-Nottage was with her daughter, walking their dog at the seafront in Lowestoft, when she fell as the tide was coming in on 2 February 2025.

Photograph: Family Handout/PA Woman who drowned in Suffolk ‘might have been saved’ if fire service alerted more quickly Saffron Cole-Nottage became stuck headfirst and might have lived had ambulance service alerted fire service immediately, coroner says A woman who drowned after getting stuck headfirst in sea defence rocks might have been saved if the ambulance service had alerted the fire service quicker, a coroner has said.

Saffron Cole-Nottage, 32, was walking the family dog with her daughteron the seafront at Lowestoft, Suffolk, when she fell as the tide was coming in on 2 February 2025.

A girl called 999 at 7.52pm and within the first 30 seconds of the call explained to an ambulance service call handler that Cole-Nottage was “caught head down in the rock” by the seafront.

At 7.57pm and 7.58pm the caller made reference to Cole-Nottage “screaming”, before stating a minute later that she was “in the water now”.

Suffolk fire and rescue service was the last of the four emergency services to be notified, with the first communication to them being at 8.04pm.

Firefighters were on the scene at 8.22pm and the Suffolk area coroner, Darren Stewart, said it took them less than half a minute to free her after the first hands were placed on her at 8.29pm.

Cole-Nottage, a cleaner, was declared dead at 8.44pm.

The coroner, recording a narrative conclusion, said Cole-Nottage had “died from drowning which has come about due to accidental circumstances”.

Stewart said the East of England ambulance service “didn’t immediately contact the fire service”.

He added: “Had the Suffolk fire and rescue service been immediately alerted to the incident … it’s possible that Saffron would have been extricated from the rocks sooner and survived. However, it’s not probable she would have done so.” The coroner said he would write to the chief executive of the East of England ambulance service and the head of NHS England with a series of concerns, including the time taken by the ambulance service to identify that the incident was a rescue during the 999 call and to pass that information to the fire service.

The coroner said he was also concerned that there had been a “failure” to follow guidance from the Joint Royal Colleges ambulance liaison committee that says a submerged person should be treated as a rescue for a minimum of 30 minutes.

Stewart said the clock should start on that 30 minutes when a first responder arrives on scene and confirms the person is submerged, and that the first paramedic to arrive had made a “premature decision to consider Saffron to be deceased”.

Earlier in Friday’s hearing, Stewart said the 999 call handler had told the caller not to try to rescue or move Cole-Nottage after the caller had said she was in the water.

Stewart said: “This was an extraordinary message to pass on regarding someone who had just been communicated to be trapped and at risk of drowning.

“This advice appears to have been a result of slavish adherence to the entrapment protocol which was still being followed at this stage (before later moving to a drowning protocol).” Explore more on these topics Suffolk England Emergency services Firefighters news Share Reuse this content

Read original story at The Guardian

Continue reading this article on the publisher's website.

Visit Website

More from The Guardian

Australia news live: Penny Wong rebukes Israel over “shocking and unacceptable” treatment of flotilla activists
Technology
The Guardian
The Guardian40 minutes ago1 min read

Australia news live: Penny Wong rebukes Israel over “shocking and unacceptable” treatment of flotilla activists

Australia’s foreign minister condemns video posted by Israel’s national security minister taunting detained activists. Follow today’s news liveGet our breaking news email, free app or daily news podcastAustralian Foreign Minister Penny Wong c

Man charged with stealing camera equipment from Bondi shooting victim in aftermath of terror attack
Technology
The Guardian
The Guardianabout 2 hours ago1 min read

Man charged with stealing camera equipment from Bondi shooting victim in aftermath of terror attack

Police allege an attender at the Hanukah event before the shooting stole a deceased 61-year-old’s camera equipment then pawned itGet our breaking news email, free app or daily news podcastNSW police have charged a man for allegedly stealing camera equi

Murder inquiry launched after fatal assault on London bus driver
Health
The Guardian
The Guardianabout 2 hours ago1 min read

Murder inquiry launched after fatal assault on London bus driver

Police say 64-year-old was attacked after confrontation near Battersea BridgeA murder investigation has been launched after a bus driver died after an assault on Battersea Bridge in London, police said. Sergei Krajev, 64, died in hospital on Tuesday after the incident in the early hours of Monday morning. Police believe he was attacked following a confrontation on the pavement near the bus, which was stationary at the time. Gary Jones, 32, was arr

Woman who drowned in Suffolk ‘might have been saved’ if fire service alerted more quickly | Global News 24